Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Conversations

Communication is one of the main themes of Math in Your Feet.  During the program students learn how to communicate with the language of rhythm and patterns in their feet.  They also learn to communicate their original dance patterns using math vocabulary and by mapping their patterns on a coordinate grid.

Communication is a two-way street: if you want kids to learn how to communicate well, it's important to listen to what they have to say.  I'm a big fan of listening to kids (except when I'm in the middle of making dinner, I suppose).  Here are some pictures of me having a rhythmic conversation with a young friend.  It's an amazing feeling to have a satisfying conversation like this one without using even one spoken word.  I'm always heartened and inspired at how much children have to say.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...